UK Disability History Month 2023
Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership is proud to mark UK Disability History Month (UKDHM) 2023.
This page provides useful links and resources for disabled colleagues and allies working across our health and care partnership.
About UKDHM 2023
UKDHM takes place from Thursday 16 November to Saturday 16 December 2023 and provides a platform to focus on the history of the struggle disabled people continue to face for equality and human rights.
The theme for this year’s UKDHM is around the experiences of disabled children and young people in the past, in the present day and in the future. There are 16m disabled people in the UK and 11% of children are disabled. Though 80% of adults become disabled people while at working age, for some this figure hides delayed diagnoses or hidden conditions from childhood.
The following resources have been created in Humber and North Yorkshire for colleagues to use:
- Download the MS Teams background
- Download the email footer image
- Download the screensaver
- Download the square logo
- Download the landscape logo
NOTE: To download the images above onto your own computer, please click on the link for an image to open it, hover over the image using your mouse, right click and then choose ‘save as picture’. You can then save to your preferred location before adding to your email signature, MS Teams etc.
- “My invite to the party” – the first of our UKDHM blogs where a colleague shares their story of adult diagnoses and how this impacted them to mark the launch of UKDHM in Humber and North Yorkshire.
- “Something neurodivergent” – the second of our UKDHM blogs comes from Jess, 18, a digital communications apprentice at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust who shares her journey to begin a career in health and care
Events in Humber and North Yorkshire
A number of events are planned across Humber and North Yorkshire – these are for colleagues working in health and care.
All events for colleagues can be found on our dedicated booking website, BookWhen where you can book your place.
Events planned for UKDHM 2023 include:
- Lunch and Learn: NLaG event with Dr Ossie Stuart – Calibre and Project Search – Thursday 30 November 2023, 12.30-2.30pm
- Lunch and Learn: Carers’ Resource and support for parent / guardian carers – Wednesday 6 December 2023, 12.30-1.15pm
- Lunch and learn: Inclusive language around disability – Monday 11 December 2023, 12.30-1.30pm
Events from other areas
East of England Regional Disability Project – Transforming the Future (Wednesday 6 December 2023, 10am-12noon, virtual)
Transforming the Future is a project by the NHS East of England and this session will include lived experience, videos from disabled colleagues, a keynote speaker and a roundtable discussion, designed to raise awareness and transform future workplaces to be more inclusive.
Disabled colleagues will share “This is me” videos that showcase lived experience and will be joined by Melissa Johns, an advocate for disability rights and actor who performs on stage and screen.
Bradford District and Craven Connected on Ability Festival (Monday 4 to Friday 8 December 2023, virtual)
Bradford District and Craven Health and Care Partnership is running its second Connected on Ability Festival. Events are all hosted on MS Teams and take place from Monday 4 to Friday 8 December 2023.
The page also includes recordings from last year’s events.
The following organisations provide support for parent / guardian carers of disabled children and young people across Humber and North Yorkshire, for disabled children and young people and / or for disabled parents.
Each organisation will offer different services and in different areas. More information on each can be found using the links below:
- Bright Minds (Grimsby)
- Carers Plus Yorkshire (Scarborough, Whitby, Ryedale, East Riding, Hambleton and Richmondshire)
- Carers’ Support Service (North Lincolnshire)
- Carers Trust
- Carers UK
- Carers’ Resource (Bradford, Harrogate, Selby and Craven districts)
- Case (Hull)
- Children Today
- Choices and Rights (Hull and East Riding)
- Climb4 (North East Lincolnshire)
- Different Strokes
- SEND East Riding ‘Local Offer’ directory
- Family Fund
- Flag Grimsby
- Foresight (North and North East Lincolnshire)
- Get Cycling CIC
- Gravity Red (North East Lincolnshire)
- Hull Council for Disabled People
- Hull Deaf Centre
- Jessie’s Fund
- Linkage (Lincolnshire)
- Matthew’s Hub (Hull and East Riding)
- MySight York
- North East Lincolnshire Parent Carer Forum
- SENDIASS East Riding
- Sight Support (Hull and East Riding)
- Rock Foundation (North East Lincolnshire)
- The Faraway CIC (Grimsby)
- The Retreat Clinic (York)
- The Snappy Trust (York)
- We are F.I.S.H. (North East Lincolnshire)
- Wilberforce Trust (York)
- York Carers’ Centre
- York Disability Rights Forum
- York People First
- Your Life, Your Way (East Riding of Yorkshire)
- Your Place (Grimsby)
National resources and useful links
- NHS Employers UKDHM resources page (includes blogs, case studies, videos and guidance to support disabled colleagues in the workplace).
- Watch a video from the Disabled NHS Directors Network (DNDN) exploring the experiences of disabled directors to mark UKDHM 2023
- Experiences of neurodivergent colleagues in the workplace (2023 study from Birkbeck’s Research Centre for Neurodiversity at Work – part of University of London)
This page will be updated throughout UKDHM 2023. If you have content you’d like us to include, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Last updated Tuesday 28 November 2023)